Sunday, October 10, 2010

Concrete Steps And Stars

A few weeks ago we drove to PA for a show and listened to Electric Ladyland. Haven't heard it in years, though we listened to it all the time in high school. Such a rich album filled with big vibrant songs. "And The Gods Made Love" always reminded me of a giant toilet flushing. Somehow Scott slept in a pile of drums while the the bass drum of "Gypsy Eyes" thumped and we went up and down endless Pittsburgh brick roads that curved impossibly.

Last night Scott and I headed up to Cedars and caught November Loop. Big space songs, brilliant light streaks in darkness. Trademark NL long instrumentals that put you into a trance. The music became a beautiful tool in darkness. I agonized and despaired, I cried in the cold water rock walls of Youngstown. What are these mute buildings saying. What of this tin-ceilinged room. Age-old graffiti. The C/Asus2 progression slowly shifts to C/Amaj and everything becomes clear and good. Scott takes pictures of purple firelights in darkness and e-mails them to me, but I'm right there. Somewhere in a server they wait to be downloaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment